Wednesday 19 October 2011

Working from home - does it matter what you wear?

What to wear to work is for many the first challenge of the day. For homeworkers it’s less of a priority as the only person likely to witness a sartorial disaster is the postman or an elderly neighbour. But should we apply a bit more thought to our working from home wardrobes?


A telephone interview for an article I recently penned on dress down Friday made me question whether my work from home attire needed sprucing up. It was when this pro-office casual interviewee said to me something along the lines of, “I’m probably wearing something not that much different to you,” assuming I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, that I had to stifle a giggle. I imagine as a senior level business professional, he wasn't wearing floral Primark pyjamas.

Giggling suppressed, I started to feel anxiety rising, as I feared I may actually be asked to reveal what I was wearing that Friday morning. Using every ounce of my interviewing prowess, I guided the interview off this potentially shameful track. I didn’t have to confess or lie on this occasion, but it did make me think about what I wear to work.
  
Does not having bothered to get out of my pyjamas to do a telephone interview show a lack of respect for the interviewee? Is slouching at my desk in joggers and a favourite hoodie a sign of a sloppy attitude? I hope not.

But just in case, I will be making more effort with my working from home attire. And this is only partly an excuse for another shopping spree.

No comments:

Post a Comment