Tuesday 27 April 2010

My weekend on a film shoot. Inspiring stuff.



Whether it's the recession, reaching-30 crises or just the normal journey so many of us take through life, lots of people around me seem to be either resigned to being depressed by work or contemplating massive career changes at the moment. Job dissatisfaction has slipped into being an acceptable but glum reality. And so the career weary amongst us find ourselves spending most of our days plotting our escape from the daily grind.

But does it have to be doom and gloom? Does the very nature of careers being 'work' mean they are destined to be disillusioning? Do we all have the power to control our own careers?

Everyone has there own views on this but after this weekend I have restored faith in the existence of career satisfaction. It just sometimes means making brave choices and going the extra mile to make it happen. I spent this weekend with a group of people who all seemed to love their work. To the extent that they had given up their weekend to travel to Wales and provide their skills for free, helping a budding film director to make her first short drama. My husband was the lighting cameraman on the shoot and I decided to go along as his camera assistant (yes, carrying boxes, passing him things and generally being an extra pair of hands).

It was hard work - Saturday was a 7:30 start and the final shots were filmed after 20:30 and then back to work at 9:30 on Sunday. But it was also incredibly inspiring to see the young director making her vision a reality and the rest of the crew and actors enjoying being part of the production. It made me wonder how many of us would actually volunteer to give up our free time and work flat out over a weekend? And keep smiling and laughing throughout.

By the end of the weekend, I had picked up a few new skills (I was promoted to script supervisor as well as general dogs body), a greater appreciation for what my husband does and his fantastic talent, and a renewed vigour to continue pursuing my own career dreams. Yes, changing careers, chasing my dream to write and starting out on my own is a bumpy rollercoaster – it’s exciting, incredibly rewarding but also scary and unpredictable. But I’m just going to embrace it.

My new motto... "Feel the fear… and write on."



If you liked this article, subscribe to The Afternoon Debate RSS feed to get the next one (see subscribe link on the right) or share it with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment